Tuesday, October 04, 2005

State of Total Devastation

I'm back from Texas in one piece.

Before I left on the 22nd of September, my mom called me to see what I was doing that weekend, and I told her I was going to Texas. I didn't tell her where in Texas or why, just Texas.
She let out a shriek and cried " Texas is in a state of total devastation!!! Hurricane Rita!!! I thanked her for her concern and got off the phone as quick as possible.

Despite my moms warnings of the 4 Horseman of the Apocalypse running rampant through the entire state of Texas, I made the 12 hour trek to see the Austin City Limits 3 day music festival.
The hurricane hit Texas Saturday morning and the festival had made plans to shut down if necessary and all the papers and TV news reporters were warning of gianormous rain and wind storms.
The rain never came and Austin stayed dry- really dry. All three days were freaking scorching. Sunday got up to 108 degrees. I prayed for rain. It was so hot and dry the dust had kicked up and was like a fog over the entire park. Everyone was fighting to get to any shade possible.

Despite the heat the festival was great. So many bands, there was no way to see them all. Wilco, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, John Prine, Buddy Guy, and countless others put on an awesome show that flippin rocked. I've got some pictures that I'll try to post on the "Musings" blog and get more into the actual concerts than the weather.

Just wanted to let you guys know I was back from a state of total devastation.

2 comments:

Seamhead said...

Sounds like an awesome time. I hope you didn't miss Robert Earl Keen.

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

You guys continue to amaze and frighten me. Paul, I just saw Wilco two weeks ago in Columbia. Awesome show! Rog, I just heard my first Robert Earl Keen CD while tailgating a couple weeks ago- when Paulie was in town coincidentally. Were we separated at birth or something? That is scary!