Thursday, June 26, 2008

Super Ramen Me?


Ramen has been a staple of college students for years. It's so cheap, and oh so good. I think I can even remember eating a Ramen sandwich once when I was in college.

Ramen was brought to America in 1972, the same year I was born, and it's also Asian. Destiny is the only word that can describe my kinship with Ramen.

Yesterday I overheard a phone conversation between Josh the Viking and his soon to be viking queen:

Queen: You need to save money
Josh: I do
Queen: How about all those McDonald's runs?
Josh: It's not that much
Queen: Yeah right
Josh: Fine I'll just start eating...uhm
Violent Farmer: Tell her Ramen
Josh: Ramen! I'll go on a diet of Ramen for a month
Queen: You'll never make it
Josh: Watch me

end of phone call

At this point my first thought was "He'll never make it", then I thought "hey you know what? I could stand to shed a few LB's, and if I can save enough money in the process to to afford gas to get to work, then this might not be a bad idea". So we decided to invent the $3 a Day Ramen Diet.

Here are the rules
#1. You are allowed $3 a day to spend on meals, including drinks.
#2. You can eat whatever you want as long as it is mixed up in the Ramen.

We found a store with Ramen on sale 12 for a dollar, which comes out to $.25 per day. That leaves $2.75 to spend on drinks and whatever else we want to mix with the Ramen- so far so good. Due to the fact that we only have $2.75 to work with, I have a feeling, water will be the main choice of beverage.
One of the first problems we encountered with this diet was the massive amounts of sodium- 1960mg per meal. After reading the nutritional facts on the package, we realized that most of this comes from the flavor packages included with each meal, so we made $3 a Day Ramen Diet rule#3

#3. If you use the flavor packets (not mandatory), you can only use half a packet or less due to sodium content.

I've decided to blog each of my days meals and keep you updated on its effects.

$3 a Day Ramen Diet day one (started at lunch)

Lunch
one package of Ramen w/ half a flavor pack- 380 calories, $.09
half a can of mixed vegetables mixed in- 40 calories, $.24
Diet Soda- 0 calories, $.60

Dinner
one package of Ramen w/ half a flavor pack- 380 calories, $.09
handful of cashews mixed in- 156 calories, $1.00

$2.62 total spent

At the end of the day I'm feeling great

(please feel free to offer up any cheap ramen recipes you might think of)

2 comments:

Seamhead said...

I think you should mix in dried fruit for breakfast Ramen. Like dried Cranberry or even actual Raisins. you'll have to go buy it in bulk to make it cheaper though.

Anonymous said...

How come all your recipe ideas involve raisins?

vf